Raúl Russo was one of the painters who integrated what was called the second avant-garde of Argentine painting, which emerged in the 1930s.
Formed the group of sensitive painters, so named because they cultivated the expression of delicate nuances with a strong load of subjectivity, characterized by the use of color as an emotional tool, whose main figure was Raúl Soldi.
Russo was born in Buenos Aires on December 29, 1912 and studied at the Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes, from which he graduated in 1931.
In 1932 he taught at the Escuela Superior de Bellas Artes "Ernesto de la Cárcova", where he is a disciple of painting by Emilio Centurión and of mural painting and engraving by Alfredo Guido. He also works in the workshop of Jorge Larco.
From 1929 he attended different provincial halls and in 1942 he held his first solo exhibition in Association of Friends of Art, followed by several exhibitions in different galleries, museums and institutions.
He also participates in exhibitions outside the country, such as the Pan American Exhibition of New York (1946), the Biennale of San Pablo (1953, 1963), the Venice Biennale (1954, 1956, 1962) and the Brussels International Fair (1958).
From 1948 he worked as a teacher of the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Buenos Aires and since 1955 of the Manuel Belgrano National School of Fine Arts.
Russo painted figures, but mainly landscapes and compositions, that record the advancement of color, with which the artist proposes to the observer a new way of looking at the work of art.
In 1946 and 1949 he obtained the First Prize of the Salon of the Society of Watercolorists and Recorders dedicated to the theme "City of Buenos Aires". The First Prize won in 1959 was followed in 1960 by the Grand Prix of Honor for his work "Venice", today at the National Museum.
In 1961 he won the Palanza Prize, and in 1966 he was appointed a member of the National Academy of Fine Arts.
En 1968 realiza el gran vitral de la entrada de la Parroquia Nuestra Señora Madre de los Inmigrantes en la calle Necochea del Barrio de La Boca, en Buenos Aires.
In 1968 he made the large stained glass window of the entrance of the Parish Our Lady Mother of Immigrants in Necochea street in the Barrio de La Boca, in Buenos Aires.
His paintings make up the heritage of the National Museum of Fine Arts; of the Eduardo Sívori Municipal Museum of Plastic Arts; of the Provincial Museum of Fine Arts of Buenos Aires, in La Plata; of the Provincial Museum of La Rioja and the Municipal Museum of Fine Arts of Córdoba, among other institutions.