Cesáreo Bernaldo de Quirós was born in Gualeguay (province of between Ríos) on May 27, 1879.
From a very young age he started painting. At the age of 13 he moved to Buenos Aires, and entered the workshop of the Valencian master of drawing Vicente Nicolau Cotanda. Three years later he began studying at the Academy of the Stimulus Society of Fine Arts, under the tutelage of the masters Angel della Valle and Reynaldo Giudici.
After receiving the Rome Prize, he is given a scholarship from the national government and travels to Italy with only twenty years. There he perfected and even received a mention at the Venice Biennale with a large work in 1901. In 1905 he traveled to Spain linking with Zuloaga and Sorolla, and continued on his way to Paris, Florence and Sardinia.
returns to his country in 1906. He joined the Nexus group along with Fernando Fader, Pío Collivadino, Carlos Ripamonte, Alberto Rossi and Justo Lynch.
In 1910 he won the Grand Prize and Gold Medal at the International Exhibition of Centennial Art. The great exhibition of the Centennial was consecration for Quirós: a complete room was dedicated to his paintings.
Travels again to Europe and settled for five years; later returning to settle in the stay of the Brave Sáenz, in Entre Ríos (1916-1927), where he produced a clearly gauchesca work unprecedented in the figurative arts of Argentina.
It is a series of paintings he called "Los Gauchos" and in which he reflected the spirit, history, customs and characters of his land; which had its correlation in the literature of Leopoldo Lugones, Florencio Sánchez and José Ingenieros. These works were exhibited in Buenos Aires in 1928 and then successfully toured Spain, Germany, England, France, the United States and Canada. The tour lasted until 1936, when Quirós returned permanently to the country and settled in Paraná.
Among other activities related to the artistic field, the artist designed important mural paintings for the Jockey Club de Rosario and the Ministry of the Army.
He was a professor at the National School of Decorative Arts, and president of the National Academy of Fine Arts.
In 1942 it acquired a large expanse of land on the ravines of the Paraná River, near the city of the same name, creating a museum with a vast collection of weapons, furniture, ornaments and objects of great artistic value.
he obtained numerous distinctions at home and abroad, his work being especially valued by national and foreign collectors.
He died in Vicente López for the last twenty years of his life, where he died on May 29, 1968.